The town was first built in 11BC called Halicarnassus and housed the famous Mausoleum. Alexander the Great distroyed much of it but it was left to Herodotus the father of written history to record the remains. The Knights of St John who were at one of their outposts at Rhodos came accross in 1402 and built on the existing structure a Castle. Sulliman the Magnificent asked them to leave in 1523.
Click a picture to see a larger view.